Wednesday 4 June 2014

THE DEVIL IS IN THE DETAIL

The idiom "the devil is in the detail" derives from the earlier phrase, "God is in the detail;" expressing the idea that whatever one does should be done thoroughly; i.e. details are important.[1] (Wikepedia)


I leave in less than a week for Banff Alberta for my final few days of preparation prior to starting the Tour Divide on June 13. It is hard to believe that the day is almost here after 7 months of thought, planning, research, and physical/mental preparation. Virtually every free moment, every quiet evening, weekdays and weekends have been spent focusing on every aspect of this event. It has taken over my mind and I am itching like crazy to get going!

The Training has been the easy part. Getting out on the bike through the winter was wonderful. Have you ever ridden on a bike in the snow, in the snow at night, and through trails in the snow at night? It is adventurous, exciting, and sometimes dangerous yet it develops the senses like nothing else. I've ridden short and in the rain and long on questionable terrain. I've been out at 5:30 in the morning biking through the city and around town when most are sleeping - it is a great way to look around and see what you miss during the hustle and bustle of the day light hours. I've had my butt on the seat for up to 9.5 hours at a time and many many kilometers. I've ridden alone and with friends and enjoy both equally well for various reason - being alone allows for thought and reflection, being with friends encourages sharing and laughter. Being on the bike offers a wonderful sense of fulfilment and freedom and I have enjoyed every moment of it.

Planning for for the Tour Divide has been extremely time consuming and thought provoking. Just when you think you have what you need, or you nailed it, something new pops into the picture and you second guess your choice. I've spent countless hours combing over video from everything on bikes, maps, terrain, weather and travel. I've read personal accounts of others who have gone through the preparation phase and competition and lived it though the thoughts and observations of others. I've been on every bike equipment site and on almost every back packing gear and clothing site that one could imagine. I've ordered on-line, made returns when I've found something better and I've been in stores throughout Halifax, in Moncton, and in Bangor and Kittery Maine, Portsmouth NH, Boston Mass, New Haven CT, and Minneapolis MN looking for equipment and buying supplies. I've bought things I like and threw stuff in a box that I found out I can't really use but may down the road. And yes, as my wife reminds me, I've spent too much money although I shopped carefully.

The final and most important part has been trying to make sure my 25-30 days are covered off here at Home. With a busy wife and four very active kids, our home is often in some form of controlled chaos with people and things going everywhere. Taking the leave my my job and being without pay since April 1 has certainly presented some challenges but I couldn't do this event, and promote the fund-raising aspect, without doing so. Our home is in good shape and I leave knowing that my wife Leslie, whom is simply an unbelievable wife and mom, has things well in hand although she is stressed about it and my absence. My kids are responsible beyond their years and I am confident they will carry on well while I am gone. Making sure most bills are paid, hockey issues are cared for, and there are some funds in the bank to survive on has also been a challenge but are in decent shape and will manage until my return. I will leave for the trip comfortable with our home situation which will allow me to stay the course mentally, emotionally, and physically.

I sit here fairly comfortable and confident that things are well in hand and I have taken care of the details to carry on and complete the journey. The month ahead will be full of excitement, stress, dis-comfort, and some pain but it is welcome. Based on my focus over the last 6 months, I am hoping that the next one will reach expectations and offer challenge, adversity, and ultimately...success!

The Lord only knows (and I do too!) that The Devil is in the Detail.

No comments:

Post a Comment