Monday 17 March 2014

CLOSING IN ON 50, NOT A DAY PAST 25!

Toby Keith Covel was born in 1961 and is now in his 50's. In 2005 he released a smash hit 'As Good As I Once Was' and a video to go along with it which is one of my favorites. I laugh every time I watch it and think of my friends and I as we were growing up in downtown Halifax and how this could easily be us today based on our age and how stupid and reckless we have been and still get at times.

"...I ain't as good as I once was, my how the years have flown, but there was a time back in my prime when I could really hold my own, but if you wanna fight tonight, guess those boys don't look all that tough, I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was!" Toby Keith



My wife's sister asked me last Saturday about this recent 'act of stupidity' I have myself tied into. One of her parting comments was "now after this crazy thing is done (the Tour Divide) are you gonna have this stuff out of your system?" I'm not sure she liked my answer!

Well, really, there is truly nothing 'in my system'. I am not poisoned or sick. The plain fact is I love adventure and I enjoy challenging myself in mental, emotional and physical ways and yes, I actually do still think like I am 25 years of age most of the time.

"The mind is everything. What you think you become."  (Buddha)

You know what's sad about closing in on 50 and getting older? People expect you to act like it! I look at some people that are my age and shake my head wondering if I appear as old as they look and act. Many think it is time to take up gardening, do crosswords, watch tv shows, go to bingo, play cards, and drink iced tea on the back deck on a nice summer day. I absolutely hate sitting home, it sucks! It is bad enough I gotta wear glasses to read and the hair is getting grey! The body and mind still has a lot of "get up and go" left in it! Giddy Up!

The guys I am around daily have a lot of that 'Giddy Up' in them and that is refreshing to me. They work hard, train hard, and play hard. They have great families, are involved in community, and treat people with care and respect. They have goals and aspire to live happy, healthy and active lives. They chirp one another, laugh a lot, carry on great conversations, and like to drink a beer after a long hard work or training day. Just keep us away from Toby Keith and that bar cuz we avoid acting our age far too often and are proud of it!

My guess is that this recent adventure will likely spur on others down the road. I am not sure what's ahead but I am positive that I won't be sitting back waiting to act my age or let things come to me when time is ticking away. Go Get It, Get r Done! Be as good once, as you once was over and over again!

"Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life." (Steve Jobs)

No comments:

Post a Comment