Monday 27 January 2014

5 P's: PROPER PREPARATION PREVENTS POOR PERFORMANCES

I can't stop thinking about and planning for the Tour Divide. It is five months away and my plan is to have every thing in place well in advance and get a few practice rides in to test out my gear and overall set-up for travel, tenting, eating etc.

This past weekend I took the time to travel into the Eastern USA to not only visit my daughter at UNH and watch her and her teammates play I also used the time to meet up with a few friends and to make a major purchase too! I drove through Maine, New Hampshire, through Massachusetts, and halfway through Connecticut to buy a Salsa Fargo bikepacking bike before heading back to UNH to visit for two days with my daughter.

I had an awesome and wonderful experience with the staff at The Devil's Gear Bike Shop in New Haven Connecticut. Johnny B pictured below along with the owner and mechanics treated me in an unbelievable manner and it was one of the most satisfying transactions I have ever made.
Here is my trusty chariot "Peppers" at home with some of my bike-packing gear attached. The bike is a Salsa and all I could think of was Hot Chile Peppers...thus "Peppers!"
Along with worrying about the fund-raising aspect of this adventure, I continually am considering and researching information on gear, clothing, nutrition, hydration, maps, routes, points of interest and need,  sleeping systems, safety, travel to Banff and home from New Mexico, family and work commitments, etc etc.

I now have most of my packing system set up. I want to pick up a back pack that is comfy and has a hydration system in it. I am in the process of loading maps into my Garmin GPS and I have the hard copy of the maps along with cue sheets. I purchased my ultra-light tent and still am seeking a good sleeping pad and bag at a reasonable price. This past weekend I spent time at REI in downtown Boston, at LL Beans in Freeport Maine, at Eastern Mountain Sports in New Hampshire, and at the trading post in Kittery Maine. I bought necessary items in each place and will continue to pick away at things in the coming weeks until I have it all set. 

Now all I gotta do is find some time to train and get fit!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment