Saturday 4 January 2014

REFLECTIONS ON THE RUN!


Just over a year ago I was out for a run in the dead of winter on the back trail behind Cole Harbour. I was listening to Christmas music and had one of those runs with no distractions and lots of time to think. I went home after the run and started to scribe an email, finished it, and 'chickened out'. I wanted to send as a reflection piece but I neglected to do it because of insecurity and not wanting others to think I was whacked out. I just found it again in my draft box and what the heck…I am going to share it with you over the next couple blogs...

Part One:

As December approaches and another year nears an end I wanted to send out a note and THANK YOU! 

Until now, you likely didn't know that you have made a positive impact on me in one way or another and for that I am thankful. Most people wouldn't know that they have made a difference to someone else unless they are told and unfortunately many of us don't take the time to tell. Well, I am and, I thank you! 

The last couple years have been wonderful, enlightening and full of excitement and change for Leslie, myself, and our family. Every now and then I get this urge to share my thoughts to my family, friends, co-workers, and sport/hockey contacts…yes, this is one of those times!!! Get your finger away from that delete button! So many people have made a positive impact on us that I feel compelled to say thanks and let you know some of the things that happened fostering change in our lives. My hope is that it will allow me to 'pay you back' or 'pay it forward' and maybe make a difference in some of the things in your life.

Fully Asleep yet Soundly Awake!
I am not sure if this is weird or not but I do some of my best thinking and come up with great ideas in my sleep, while I run, or when I am driving alone! When I was actively coaching I would wake up often in the middle of the night, pop my eyes open as though I was stuck with a needle, and think "that would work" or "we should try that" as it relates to tactics, systems, strategy or just plain old motivation. It is during these sleeps, through some workouts, and time spent driving in the car that I reflect and engage in active thought without distraction. Thus, this long-winded reflection that I am compelled to share with you!

Friendships are Priceless!
My great friend of 36 years was recently motivated by my fitness results and weight loss. He called me and said that he had been encouraged by some of the things I have undertaken and wanted to start running, lose a few pounds, maybe run a race or two, etc and asked for some guidance. I really didn't realize it initially but he actually has made a positive influence on me and made me feel good by asking for my help and allowing me to share through his focus, direction, determination and in the end, his accomplishments. He has since run numerous distances in training, completed a 10k race and in October completed his first 1/2 Marathon while over time dropping 15 lbs. He is an inspiration for me and for that I am thankful!

Friends and Challenges: find one or many and commit to succeeding!
January 2011: I weighed 212 lbs and was feeling unhealthy and personally uninspired. That was until I coerced a friend to join me to compete in a 50km mountain/trail race in NY State called the North Face Endurance Challenge set for May. The same friend then encouraged me to train more and get back into the sport of triathlon and shortly thereafter I was hooked once again! A few months later a bet with another good friend set the goal of both of us dropping some weight by a certain date or else pay the bill for an extravagant meal and feel shame - we both succeeded! Those types of challenges and the acceptance, support, and encouragement of friends helped set me in a new direction that continues to this day. In the last 22 months I have dropped 32 lbs and lots of fat, have been forced to buy lots of new clothes that fit, completed the 50 km race, bought a racing bike, completed 2 - 1/2 Ironman Triathlons, have no problem doing 3-4 hour training sets, am feeling strong and fit, and just completed the Florida Ironman (3.8k swim, 180km bike, and 42k run). I encourage you to set goals, find challenges, register for a road race, sign up for a fitness class, buy a bike and use it…... 'Just Do It' - it will re-juvinate you!

More to come…Part Two tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment